Thursday, January 1, 2015

The New Year

Happy New Year!!! 

I hope you all had a great New Years Eve!! We definitely did :) We stayed home, made some dinner and finished off the night falling asleep before the clock hit 12. Big parties and staying up late just isn't in our plans as a family anymore and I'm perfectly okay with it :) 


When I woke up in the morning I remembered all the resolutions I had made over the years and how many of them actually got accomplished. The truth is, I couldn't remember one single goal that was reached. I had managed to let years and years of resolutions slip through my fingers while I remained comfortably lazy and set in my old ways. How disappointing!!! 

In 2014 I definitely stepped out of my comfort zone and got healthier but that wasn't something I set out to do in the beginning of the year. Over the course of the year I learned about goals and how to set them from many different life coaches. In an instant I knew what my problem had been all this time so this year I am making resolutions and sticking to them. 

Here is how I am doing it:

1. Make Specific Goals
The goals you make are so important but it's so easy to make goals on a whim and never follow through with them. Many times it's because we don't know exactly what our goal entails. Writing down goals like "lose weight" is okay but getting mighty clear about them is even better. A goal like this is best "Lose 10 pounds and keep it off". This gives you a clear mark to hit making it easier to see the light at the end of the tunnel. 

2. Assign dates to each goal.
Resolutions generally go all year but it's important to have dates. Without a deadline you have no idea when exactly you need to complete certain tasks. Take our goal above- " Lose 10 pounds and keep it off"; this goal needs a deadline, a reasonable but challenging deadline. This is how this goal should sound "Lose 10 pounds by March 1st and keep it off ALL year". That goal is easily definable and gives clear markers as to what needs to get done.

3. Write out your goals.
This one is simple but it works. Even though you know your goals it's important to physically write them down AND do it every week. Keeping your goals fresh in your mind is the best way to reach them. Out of sight, out of mind is exactly what happens to all those resolutions. Simply put- write down your goals, read them everyday, rewrite them every week.

4. Make your goals public.
I don't mean go out and tell every single person about your goals. Choose 1 or 2 people, tell them your goals and explain why it's so important to you. By telling someone you are putting some skin in the game. You are giving yourself accountability and motivation to reach those goals. 

5. For each goal have an action step.
It's awesome to have goals, write them down, and tell your significant other but without an action step for how you are going to complete them makes it very hard to move towards them in any real way. 

Those 5 things are crucial to accomplishing your New Year Resolutions. Doing each of these things will help you define and work towards your goals so next year you can be proud of all that you accomplished in 2015. 

What are some of your goals for 2015? Are you ready to make this YOUR year!? 

No comments :

Post a Comment