Friday, January 23, 2015

PUMPED UP Cuban Picadillo

I started out with this recipe I found online at Health Roots, Happy Soul. It was such a simple recipe and I was so excited to make it. But in typical Jaclyn fashion, I couldn't follow the recipe at all!!! I was missing a few ingredients and had some others that needed to be used before they went bad. So here is my recipe-- the NEW Pumped Up Cuban Picadillo!



Ingredients:
-1 pound ground beef (I use 90/10 at least)
-1/2 of a yellow onion, chopped
-1 pepper, chopped (I used a red one!)
-3 garlic cloves, minced
-2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar (I only had white, apple, and rice- so I found this awesome site that talks about vinegars and how to substitute them out. I ended up using 2T rice vinegar. Check out that site here: http://www.md-health.com/Substitute-For-Red-Wine-Vinegar.html)
-2 tsp. Chili Powder
-1 can (15oz) Organic Diced Fire Roasted Tomatoes
-1T Tomato Paste
-1 can (15oz) Kidney Beans (I used Target's organic brand in the box!)
-1/2 cup water
- 2 cups chopped spinach (fresh)
- Salt and Pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Prepare all vegetables for cooking as directed above
2. In a large skillet cook the beef until just brown. Drain all grease. Return beef to pan.
3. Add onion, peppers, garlic, a dash of salt, black pepper (to taste),chili powder, and 1/2 cup water to beef and stir until well combined. Cook for about 5 minutes.
4. Add in the tomatoes, paste, beans, and vinegar to the beef mixture and stir to combine.
5. Turn the heat down to medium/low and cook for about 15 minutes so the flavors can blend. (Add more water, 1/4 cup at a time, if getting dry!)
6. Add in the chopped spinach and stir. Place a cover on the skillet and let cook for about 5 minutes or until the spinach is wilted.
7. Serve over cooked brown rice.

Toppings you could add: avocado or parmesan cheese

ENJOY!!!!

Pssst: Make extra! This is GREAT the next day!!

No comments :

Post a Comment