Saturday, June 13, 2015

Shrimp and Asparagus with Lemon Pepper Sauce

I am totally an ocean girl. I love seafood and sitting on the beach with my toes in the sand. The ocean is where I feel most at peace so being landlocked is pretty awful. But I'm making due. One of the ways I do that is by making food from the ocean. At least once a week we have fish or shrimp (Lobster is out of the question since it's crazy expensive here). This week I was looking for quick recipes. 20 minute recipes to be exact and I stumbled on this one from Home Cooking Memories. She had used ginger in hers but the hubby doesn't like it so I decided to change it up. The only thing I did was omit the ginger and add the pepper. Easy! The link to the original recipe is at the bottom in case you like ginger :) 


Shrimp and Asparagus with Lemon Pepper Sauce

Ingredients:
4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 pound large raw shrimp, peeled & deveined
1 pound asparagus, ends trimmed and each stalk cut into 2-3" pieces
½ teaspoon salt, divided
1 teaspoon minced garlic
Fresh cracked pepper to taste

Lemon Sauce:
⅔ cup chicken stock
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
¼ cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest

Directions:
1. In a small bowl, whisk together all of the lemon sauce ingredients and set aside.

2. In a large frying pan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add shrimp to pan in a single layer and cook for about 3 minutes, turning them over to cook both sides. Season shrimp with ¼ teaspoon salt. Shrimp should be beginning to pink on both sides and be opaque, but just slightly under cooked. Remove from frying pan and place shrimp on a plate.

3. In same frying pan, heat another 2 tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat. Add asparagus and cook until asparagus is tender-crisp, bright green, and just barely beginning to brown. Season asparagus with ¼ teaspoon salt (or more if needed). Add pepper (I used about 1 tsp.) and garlic and stir to combine with asparagus. Cook for another 30-45 seconds or so.

4. Pour in lemon sauce mixture into frying pan with asparagus. Add shrimp back into pan and combine sauce with asparagus and shrimp. Simmer for about a minute or until sauce is thickened. 

Remove from heat and serve.

Can I just tell you that this recipe was AWESOME!!! The hubby loves it and it brought a bold spicy lemony flavor have was very yummy!! We ate this on top of some jasmine rice. 

It does have a stronger lemon flavor so if you want it more tame you could adjust the amount of lemon juice and add extra chicken broth to make up for it! 

I hope you enjoy it!! Make sure to come back and let me know how you liked it!

Here is the original link as promised!!

No comments :

Post a Comment