Saturday, July 2, 2016

Making this 4th of July a HEALTHY & HAPPY one


CAN you believe that the 4th of July is MONDAY!? I am super excited! For me the 4th is filled with family time, grilling out, sparklers, fireworks and in my childhood camp fires and camping (not happening this year unfortunately). We are STILL going to make it a FUN and EXCITING though- for the kids even got the Old Navy 4th of July shirts just like when my hubby and I were little!!

As FUN as the 4th of July is, its also a time FILLED with tasty treats and temptations galore! So the #1 rule I tell my challengers is -- DO NOT focus on being super STRICT (unless that’s your mission and you WANT to be super strict with yourself). It can lead to disappointment and give you an excuse to fall even further off the health wagon.

Instead I’ve created 7 easy ways to stay within a healthy limit, but also not feeling deprived either!!  I learned early on in my health and fitness journey that for ME, I had to keep it to the 80/20 rule! What does that even mean? Well it means that for about 80% of my week- I focus on eating all of my fruits, veggies, protein, etc! I drink my water and I’m really on point! And then the other 20%- well that is where some treats come in! I cannot feel deprived or else I binge eat. And I DO NOT want to go there! So I just eat according to my goals!

If you are leaving the house, here are a few easy ways to prepare for a healthy long weekend away-

#1- Preparing some protein ahead of time! Pre-grill or bake and chop some chicken to grab out of the fridge as a snack or to toss on a salad.
#2- Grab a big veggie tray to take! The veggies are already prepared and in a storable container. PLUS you are way more likely to grab veggies if they are ready to eat!
#3- Bring FRUIT! Pick a few fruits that the entire family loves. Be sure to prepare it ahead of time!
#4- Sparkling waters in the cooler! It tastes like a treat to me (NOW) and when it’s ice cold- It will be much more refreshing than a soda or gatorade!!
#5- Shakeology!! MY TREAT and saving grace! I will have it for breakfast every morning! It’s my go to fast food, keeps my cravings at bay, gives me energy and keeps me full for 3 hours. No brainer!!

OKAY- Now that we have the food squared away, by the way, I do that type of planning every week. Its EASY and helps me stay on track but it works when vacationing too ;)-

Now lets switch gears and talk about HOW to stay on track with your FITNESS while away--
Here are my SEVEN tips to surviving the holiday weekend!!

1.  Schedule your cheat meal for the week:  Decide what you want to splurge on!  Is it the grilled hotdogs that you LOVE? Is it your best friend’s macaroni and cheese? Is it the AMAZING peanut butter cake your aunt brings every year? Or is it the darn smores that get you every time? Maybe it’s the beer or margaritas that you just can’t say no to!!

Here’s the TRICK!!  Pick 1 or 2 things that you can’t live without and eat it!! Don’t go overboard! Give yourself a reasonable portion, but just enjoy and eat enough to be satisfied!! It will be okay!

2. Don’t skip your workout: Do not take a rest day on your cheat meal day!  You bust out that workout and you give it 100%.  Just because it’s a holiday doesn’t mean you slack.  Results happen because you are consistent day in and day out!  Invite some friends or family to do it with you! Make it fun and remember- results are not made when you feel like it- they happen when you WORK for it! We have a Beachbody on Demand option where you can literally pull up a workout ON YOUR PHONE! So you literally have NO excuses!! Let’s work! You can EVEN download the On Demand App to your phone or ipad and stream the workouts.  Plus with On Demand you can store up to 7 workouts so that you don’t even need wifi connection!

If you want to do something different then get yourself out for a run or switch it up by going to the gym in the hotel while traveling.  But if you are going to be enjoying summer treats, don’t schedule a rest day on a cheat day!

3.  Take a healthy appetizer if you go to a picnic:  This way you know you have something that you can eat that is guilt free!  Think veggie tray with hummus OR a fruit tray!

4. Don’t let yourself get to the point of ravenous:  If you are planning a picnic try not to skip meals.  Eat every 2 1/2 to 3 hours a day to keep your metabolism in check but also because when I get to the point of beyond hungry all logical decision making goes out the door and I make bad choices!  So no matter what pack some snacks in a cooler, take your shake, drink your water and stay focused!!!!

5.  What are the best drinks to have?  Stay away from sugar loaded fruity cocktails like Margaritas, Daiquiris, Pina Coladas, Beer and wine. They are just full of sugar and carbs. The best drinks to go for are really vodka and soda water with a splash of lemon or lime.  We also make our own margaritas that are clean.
A GREAT cocktail is blending up fresh watermelon and then using the juice as the base, add in some tequilla, a splash of margarita mix, seltzer water and serve.  So refreshing and 1/2 the sugar!


6.  Stay Hydrated:  So when the sun is hot and you are outside it’s easy to get dehydrated.  So make sure you are constantly sipping your water and staying hydrated so you don’t confuse your thirst for hunger and begin to overeat!  Aim to drink 1/2 your body weight in OUNCES of water each day!  The more coffee you drink the more dehydrated you get, so sip that water!


7. Don’t Stress and HAVE FUN! Stress can absolutely derail progress, so make sure that you aren’t thinking about ‘what do I eat, how do I stay on track, oh my gosh! How many calories is in that, I can’t have that, etc’ when you should just have your plan and go with the flow! Enjoy the holiday, have a GAME PLAN and have some fun!! Remember, Rome wasn’t built in a day! One day will NOT make or break you, just like one workout or one day of eating healthy will help you lose 20 pounds or get you abs! NOT GONNA HAPPEN! Progress, progress, progress! You can do it!

No comments :

Post a Comment