Friday, September 5, 2014

Baked Chicken and Veggie Sauté


I LOVE summer squash and zucchini but I never know how to cook it. It doesn't help that the hubby isn't a fan nor are my kids but I was determined to find, or create, a recipe that everyone would like! I came up with this fast, easy and tasty meal that sticks to my clean eating lifestyle!

First things first. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees so you can get the chicken cooking while you prepare the rest of the meal. I bake my chicken in a casserole dish that is lightly greased (I hate scraping chicken off the bottom of the pan!) for about 20-25 minutes, depending on thickness, until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. I lay each chicken breast in the casserole dish and lightly sprinkle with seasonings. I use black pepper, salt, cumin, garlic powder, and onion powder on mine. You can do whatever you like :) 

In a skillet put 1T coconut oil and heat on medium/high heat. While oil is heating up, slice the summer squash, zucchini, and red onion.

Once the oil is heated, add the summer squash, zucchini and onion to the pan, Let the veggies cook until desired tenderness. I cooked them about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. 

Add the chopped garlic and stir to combine, cooking just a few minutes. Then add the spinach and cook an additional 5 or so minutes until the spinach is cooked. This is where you may need to add some additional oil so you don't burn the veggies! I add some freshly ground pepper to the veggies and mix to combine.



At this point, I pull the skillet off the burner and let it rest until the chicken is finished! Then I just pile everything on a plate and call it good! Fast, easy, simple and its hubby approved and kid friendly!


Baked Chicken and Veggie Sauté

2 chicken breasts
1 summer squash, sliced
1 zucchini, sliced
1/2 small red onion, sliced
2 tsp. garlic, chopped
2 cups baby spinach
1-2T coconut oil

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Season and bake chicken for 20-25 minutes until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
2. Heat 1T coconut oil in skillet. Add summer squash, zucchini, and red onion and cook for about 10 minutes.
3. Add garlic and spinach to veggies. Mix to combine. Season with black pepper.
4. Cook until spinach is done, about 5 minutes.

Enjoy!!


No comments :

Post a Comment