Friday, November 28, 2014

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is a day to give thanks for all that you are grateful for. I know in my family it is a time where we all gather, cook and just enjoy each others company. I love that sense of family and it was something I was definitely missing when we lived in Oklahoma alone. Having my mom close is priceless and I am forever grateful that her and her husband were able to join us yesterday. Not only did we have my mom and her husband over we got to spend our very first Thanksgiving in our new home. That's right... we bought a home on the 12th of November and it has been the most exciting and nerve racking experience. I LOVE that we now are home owners and in our home prior to the holiday season.

This Thanksgiving was FULL of firsts for my family and I. Another FIRST happened yesterday as well! I participated in the 5K Turkey Trot!!! 

So at 6:30 am I jumped out of bed and started getting ready. I was so excited and nervous all the same time. I couldn't believe that one of my goals, set back in June, would be accomplished! When I started running I couldn't even make it a full mile without stopping. I had to do intervals of running and walking along with sticking to the T25 program but soon built up my endurance and speed. My time per mile was over 11 minutes!! But I DIDN'T give up. Each time I went for a run I would push myself a little more. I will post HOW to made it from couch to 5K so you can see! It wasn't easy but totally do-able! 

The race started at 8 am so we all piled into the car and headed downtown. Once we got there I could feel the energy. There were so many people walking around, all ready to rock this race. There were people with kids and jogging strollers, dogs, teenagers and seniors ALL prepared to run the 5K. I was amazed to see the variety of people. As we all lined up and waited to hear the starting shot, I was filled with gratefulness and determination. Grateful that my heath and fitness has allowed me to do something like this and determined to do my absolute best. 

The race went a lot faster than I imagined it would!! For most of the race I was able to keep pace with my best friend, Amanda. She can run faster and longer than I can so it helped me keep a steady pace instead of sprinting in the beginning like I wanted to! My adrenaline was definitely to blame for that! Near the end I could feel my energy slipping and my pace slowing. That's went I decided to change my mindset. I KNEW I could do this. So I started running faster. I picked someone ahead of my and made it my goal to catch up and keep pace with them. It was a woman about my age and although she doesn't know it, she pushed me harder that last .50 miles than anything else. I didn't think of my legs feeling like jello or my side screaming because of a cramp. I just went for it. My time for that last little piece of the run was faster than I've ever run before. 

A sense of accomplished and pride went rushing through my body has I passed the finish line. I was so proud of myself for all the hard work I put in over the last few months and happy that my official time was UNDER 30 minutes. 

Here was my final stats:

-Official time 29.22 minutes 
-30th out of 90 runners in my age group (25-29)
-199 out of all 753 females
-537 out of 1411


I can't wait to participate in another 5K and continue to train so I can one day run in a 10K, hopefully this spring ;) !!


I hope you all had an AMAZING Thanksgiving!!

No comments :

Post a Comment