Saturday, October 4, 2014

Chicken Fajitas


I love chicken fajitas but hate using those seasoning packets. Yes they taste great but I would rather not eat all the extra salt and whatever else that is in there. My struggle has been to find a recipe where there was a bold flavor. This recipe definitely helped me reach that bold flavor without all the extra yucky ingredients. 


INGREDIENTS:

2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts halves (about 1 pound total) cut into ½ inch strips
1 medium bell pepper, cut into thin strips
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1 tsp. chili powder
½ tsp. sea salt
½ tsp. ground cumin
½ tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided use!
1 lime (quartered) 
Whole wheat or 8 small corn tortillas 
½ avocado, thinly sliced
Fresh Salsa (for garnish, optional)

The first thing I did was get out 2- 1 gallon plastic bags. You could use containers that have lids or whatever but you need to be able to mix the ingredients and put it into the refrigerator. In the first bag, I put the sliced bell pepper and the sliced onion. In the second bag, I put the chicken. 


Into each bag I put:
1/4 heaping teaspoon of chili powder
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 heaping teaspoon of cumin
1/4 heaping teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon of olive oil
A squirt of lime juice from a fresh lime

Then I sealed the bags and gentle shook and massaged the seasonings around until evenly coated  
                               

Put both bags into the refrigerate for 15 minutes or until you are ready to start dinner! I left mine in there for about 30 minutes. 

Heat remaining 1 teaspoon oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Empty the contents of the veggie bag into skillet and cook, stirring frequently for 3 or so minutes. I like mine cooked longer so this is why I add mine before the chicken. 

Once the veggies have softened a bit, add in the chicken and cook for an additional 5-6 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink on the inside. 

Remove from heat. Serve on warm tortillas and top with avocados and salsa.

**This recipe could be EASILY adapted for different proteins! Try beef sirloin or shrimp! You can also use ground chipolte chili powder instead of regular chili powder! **

Sorry I totally didn't take a picture of the finished product! We were starving so it was gone in a flash! 






                                      

No comments :

Post a Comment