Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Chicken Sausage, Pepper, Onion & Potato Hash

Dinners at my house are always a little bit of struggle for me.

Generally the kids are cranky and I'm ready to relax from the long day but yep, dinner has to be made. Plus the Hubby is a steak and potatoes type guy and doesn't really love chicken or turkey. So I'm always trying to find a healthy balance between proteins and make yummy meals that he won't have to suffer through that aren't beef.

Normally, I'm a HUGE fan of prepping many things on Sunday so it lessens my work during the week. This Sunday was a major fail in that department so I'm paying for it now!!

Anyways, I found this recipe (on thetwobiteclub.com) and decided to give it a try and to my surprise it's really good!! I did change quite a few things from the original recipe to make it my own.


Chicken Sausage, Pepper, Onion and Potato Hash

Ingredients:
-1 package chicken sausage (I used Coleman Organic Italian Chicken Sausage) cut into 1/4 inch rounds.
-1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 red or yellow bell pepper, diced (I used all green! That's just what I had and I wasn't about to go to the store for a different colored pepper )
-1 onion, diced 
-3 small or 2 large potatoes, peeled and diced (I used organic yellow potatoes that didn't need to be peeled. Note: the bigger you dice your potatoes the longer they will take to cook)
-olive oil
-garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder (to taste, I added about 1 tsp. during cooking of the potatoes)
-salt and pepper (to taste)

Directions:
1. In a skillet heat about 2 tbsp of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the diced potatoes and season with salt, pepper and if you choose garlic, onion and chili powders. Cook until golden brown and completely done through. Make sure to stir a few times to brown on all sides. Mine took about 15 minutes to cook. 

2. In a separate skillet, brown the sliced chicken sausage in about 1 tbsp of olive oil over medium-high heat. Make sure to flip the sausage at least once to brown on both sides. If you sausage isn't cooked be sure to cook it fully. 

3. Remove sausage from pan and add the peppers and onions to the skillet and season with a pinch of pepper. At this point I did add a sprinkling of garlic powder but you don't have to. Cook until veggies are softened, stirring occasionally. 

4. Add the cooked potatoes and sausage into the skillet with the onions and peppers. Combine everything well and serve hot! 

((Note: I used two skillets for this recipe because I wanted to keep the potatoes crispy so I cooked them along side the other things so when the peppers, onions and sausage were finished the potatoes could go right in without cooling down!))

I served with this steamed broccoli and it was yummy! I hope you enjoy :)

No comments :

Post a Comment